Psalm 45 - the meek husband

 



God, as I meditate on this psalm and pick up my pen to write, I don't feel like the author of this psalm feels. His heart was overflowing with joy, and his tongue was like a scribe's pen ready to write (v. 1). Why? Because this is a wedding psalm. It's a time for celebration, speeches, dancing, love, and emotions. Who doesn't love a good wedding?

But God, my heart isn't there this morning. Instead of playing a major key, my heart is playing in a minor key. I'm still grieving the loss of my mom from 3 weeks ago. I still feel a heaviness, and I still feel tired. So, as I still have the vivid picture in my mind of my dad holding my mom for the last time after holding her for 61 years of marriage, it's hard for me to enter into the joy of new love, life, and celebration.

But Jesus, I thank you that there is hope in this psalm, even for the weary. Ultimately, Jesus, this psalm is about you. You are the King. You are the bridegroom. You are the one whose garments were anointed with oil (v. 7-8) before your crucifixion (Matthew 26:10). And you were the one is who meek (v. 4).

In your meekness, you invited all who are weary and heavy laden to come to you to find rest (Matthew 11:28-30), and in your meekness, it says of you that a "bruised reed he will not break and a smoldering wick he will not quench (Matthew 12:20).

Jesus, thank you that there is much to celebrate about you. Thank you for a future wedding feast to come. But, thank you also for your meekness. When my heart just can't celebrate right now, thank you that your meekness meets me in my weariness.

Amen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 20 - Lord, Save the King

Psalm 13 - “How long?”

Psalm 24 - Every Six Steps