Psalm 15 -Perfectly Righteous!?!



Perfectly righteous !?!

God, this psalm seems to stand in stark contrast to the description of the "fool" in Psalm 14. And, if Psalm 14 was an accurate description of who I am, this psalm certainly describes who I'm not.

And, even though this is a psalm of David, it doesn't describe who he is either. "Who does no evil to his neighbor" (v. 3). Really? He slept with his neighbor and then killed her husband. I think that may classify as doing evil to your neighbor.

And so, God, David and I are condemned by his very words. There is no way we could ever dwell in your presence - now nor for eternity.

But, Jesus, thank you that, as a great, great, great (and many more greats) grandson of David, you were the one who perfectly fulfilled the righteousness that this psalm requires. Jesus, it is easy to say that you lived a perfect life. But, much more than that, you lived the righteous life I was required to live.

Jesus, thank you gospel grace. And, thank you for gospel righteousness. Thank you for what theologians call double imputation - my sin was imputed (given to) you, and your righteousness was imputed (given to) me. And, thank you that your gift of righteousness is slowly changing me from the inside out to make me little by little like the person of this psalm.

Amen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 20 - Lord, Save the King

Psalm 13 - “How long?”

Psalm 24 - Every Six Steps