Psalm 18 - Anger and Delight

 

God, this is a beautiful psalm celebrating how you moved heaving and earth to save David. Up to this point in the psalter, David is looking for your deliverance by faith. You have provided some smaller victories, but as the title of this psalm says, you have now defeated Saul and have subdued his enemies. After years of running for his life, you have finally placed your anointed on the throne.

God, as I meditate on this psalm, I can’t help but think of how you so lovingly and powerfully saved me. I have known the bondage of the cords of death (v. 4 and 5). I have known the anxiety of feeling swallowed up in hopelessness. I’ve known the bondage and utter destruction of sin. I’ve known it as a 17-year-old, and I’ve known it as a 50-year-old.

But, God, verses 7-17 paint a stunning image - that in response to my call of distress to you, you start moving - and not like an old man with arthritic knees. Instead, like a warrior, you thunder, and the earth quakes - hailstones, dark clouds, and lightning.

God, you saw your child enslaved and oppressed by the evil one, and your anger was aroused (v. 7), and smoke filled your nostrils (v. 8). But, another emotion motivated you to rescue me - you delighted in me (v. 19).

God, what a beautiful picture of your powerful grace. It’s a beautiful picture of your heart - anger at evil and delight in your children, moving you to move heaven and earth to break the chains of evil.

And Jesus, that’s exactly why you came. Literally, heaven and earth were moved when you came. But, instead of being a conquering warrior, you allowed yourself to be destroyed by the evil that destroys me - to free me from its bondage….all because you delight in me. Thank you.

Amen.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 20 - Lord, Save the King

Psalm 13 - “How long?”

Psalm 24 - Every Six Steps