Psalm 24 - Every Six Steps



God, we don’t know for sure the occasion for this psalm, but it certainly could have been when David brought the Ark of the Covenant into Jerusalem in 2 Samuel 6.

During that scene in 2 Samuel 6, the narrative is colored by tragedy as the Ark of God makes its way to Jerusalem. The tragedy is when the Ark begins to topple when the ox stumbles, and Uzzah reaches out his hand, touching the Ark to steady it. And, in touching the Ark, he immediately dies.

Three months later, determined to get the Ark to Jerusalem, David tries again. But, knowing that he was moving You, the creator God, and that no unclean hands could touch the Ark (as in Uzzah’s case), and because only those with pure hearts could be in Your presence, they would only take six steps at a time and then stop to sacrifice a bull and a fattened calf (2 Samuel 6:13).

God, every six steps a sacrifice was required to stay clean and pure! To be honest, that sounds just about right for my heart. The only reason I might think that I can make it 10,000 steps without sin staining my hands and heart is because I have an astonishingly low view of your holiness.

God, give me a view of your holiness that causes me to shudder at my sinful and stained heart. Help me to realize it only takes six steps to become utterly and disastrously unclean before you.

But, God, thank you so much that I don’t need to offer a sacrifice every six steps. Thank you that a King of Glory (v. 7, 8, 9, 10) ascended the hill (v. 3) - who had perfectly pure hands and a pure heart. Thank you for placing my filth on him, and then, like Uzzah, he died - becoming the once for all sacrifice that purifies my heart and cleanses my hands. Thank you that he entered the temple not made with hands and forever lives to make intercession for me (Hebrews 7:25).

Jesus, thank you that, as my great high priest, you are interceding for me.  For every six steps I take, I can hear you advocate for me to the father, "He's mine.  I sacrificed myself for him."   

Jesus, thank you!

Amen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 20 - Lord, Save the King

Psalm 13 - “How long?”