Psalm 19 - The Speaking God

 


God, this psalm celebrates the fact that you have spoken. As I look out my window and see the sun rising, I hear your voice. 

Today, every one of the nearly 8 billion people on earth will have access to your glory as your sun makes its circuit around the globe. As the shadows fade today and the light and warmth of your sun slowly creep across countries and continents, you graciously declare, “Look at me. I am doing this. Knowledge is behind this. Design and goodness are orchestrating this symphony. Grace is warming you and is growing your crops. Here me when I daily declare to you my glory and goodness.”

But God, this isn’t the only way you have spoken. You’ve also given us a book that declares explicitly who you are. God, with David, let me truly rejoice in it. Let me love it more than the riches of the world.

And God, as I seek to delight in your word, use it to warn me (v. 11). Use it to help me see my sin (v. 12). Use it to help me walk in righteousness (v. 13). And let my words (both internally and externally) align with your words (v. 14).

And God, Hebrews 1:1-2 says that you have spoken yet another way as well. You have spoken to us by your Son. Jesus, you are the perfect manifestation of the heart of God. And, as Hebrews proclaims, after you made purifications for sins, you sat down at the right hand of the Father where you are still speaking - only now you are speaking on my behalf to the Father, forever living to make intercession for me (Hebrews 7:25).

God, thank you that you are a speaking God - through creation, through your word, and through your Son - both in his earthly ministry and in his heavenly ministry of intercession. Give me ears to hear and a heart that rejoices in your glorious words.

Amen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 20 - Lord, Save the King

Psalm 13 - “How long?”

Psalm 24 - Every Six Steps