Psalm 25 - The Bullseye of God’s Grace

 


God, what do we do in our shame? How do we navigate uncertain terrain when we don’t know the way? How do we face the day knowing that the guilt of our sin weighs heavy upon us? How do we go through life when our soul is overwhelmed with stress and trouble?

God, these are the themes of this psalm and the cry of David’s heart. As David sat to pen this song, I guess he had his coffee that morning. His brain was firing on all cylinders. This is an acrostic psalm, with each verse starting with the following Hebrew letter. And it’s a chiastic psalm with three parallel sections (v. 1-3 parallel v. 11-22; v. 4-5 parallel v. 12-14; and v. 6-7 parallel v. 11).

God, it’s in these outer circles of this song where we see all of these themes. Through these outer circles, David leads us straight to the centerpiece - the bullseye of this psalm (v. 8-10).

In other words, how do I know God will meet me in my shame and the anguish of my soul? How do I know that he will lead me in the midst of unknown terrain? How can I know he will free me from the guilt of my sin? It’s because:

[8] Good and upright is the LORD;

therefore he instructs sinners in the way.

[9] He leads the humble in what is right,

and teaches the humble his way.

[10] All the paths of the LORD are steadfast love and faithfulness,

for those who keep his covenant and his testimonies.


God, the bullseye of your character is that you are exceedingly good to sinners. You are overwhelmingly merciful to the broken. You graciously guide the wayward. And God, despite our fickleness, you are steadfastly faithful.

God, thank you for a beautiful and artistic reminder that you are the only one good enough, steadfast enough, loving enough, and faithful enough to be my friend (v. 14) and savior (v. 5) in my shame, guilt, waywardness, and anguish.

Amen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 20 - Lord, Save the King

Psalm 13 - “How long?”

Psalm 24 - Every Six Steps