Psalm 11 - Fleeing or Faith?



God, the temptation is real. In fact, it doesn’t even feel like a temptation because it is so second nature. Even in Psalm 55, we see David wrestling with the same temptation. And, as in this psalm, it doesn’t make it any easier when others’ advice is to just give in to the temptation.

The temptation is to flee. It’s one of the two primal responses to danger - flee or fight. So, God, since you created us with this instinct to preserve our life, how could it be wrong?

God, as I think about this psalm and as I think about my own heart, I see how this natural instinct can actually lead to the very thing that I’m fleeing from - danger.

God, I confess that fleeing can lead to a dangerous place in my soul:

  • When I look to myself to provide comfort, protection, security, and safety;
  • When I believe that you exist for my comfort;
  • When I forget that you are both sovereign and good and orchestrate all things for my good and your glory;
  • When I forget that you “test” (v. 5) the righteous with hard things;
  • When I think that my will is better than your will;
  • When I forget that when I flee, I, unfortunately, take myself with me; 
  • When I think that it is in my power and control to make a better future for myself; 
  • When I believe that a pain-free life is awaiting me when I flee - and that living a pain-free life is better than living in your presence.

Jesus, thank you that you didn’t flee from the cross - even when Peter challenged you with a “better” way. And even though you didn’t flee, you weren’t delivered, and the enemy actually pierced you (v. 2) - so that I wouldn’t have to be pierced by death.

Jesus, knowing that you took away the sting of death and that nothing worse can ever happen to me, help me to stand firm in the faith rather than fleeing in fear.

Amen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 20 - Lord, Save the King

Psalm 13 - “How long?”

Psalm 24 - Every Six Steps