Psalm 7 - A bow aimed at the heart



God, verses 11-13 don’t make it into my scripture memory verses.  They certainly don’t make it onto any cute pillow or inspirational picture I can decorate my home with.  And, to be honest, even if these verses showed up on a pillow at my nearest Hobby Lobby, I wouldn’t buy it.  I would rather ignore this side of you.  I would instead buy the picture of you tenderly shepherding your little lambs.  

But God, like a defibrillator that jolts the heart back to health, I know there is something incredibly jolting when I am reminded that we are sinners in the hands of an angry God.  Peace, security, comfort, and a cultural mindset of love and acceptance have lulled me to sleep.  I need to be awakened to this reality.  There needs to be some substance to what it means to “fear the Lord.” 

And God, to be honest, I wouldn’t want a God who is so cuddly that he didn’t have a fierce hatred toward injustices that hurt his children.  And today, on this Martin Luther King day, just as a cry for justice motivated him, and Just as my deep love for my kids would lead to me screaming for justice if someone were to hurt one of them, your love, justice, and anger are infinitely greater.  

And God, all of this truly points to a more vivid picture of the cross.  Instead of keeping your bow pointed at me, you aimed it at your own son - so justice could be served - that you would be just and the justifier of those who place their faith in you (Romans 3:26).  

God, thank you.

Amen 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 20 - Lord, Save the King

Psalm 13 - “How long?”

Psalm 24 - Every Six Steps