Psalm 4 - Sleeping in Peace after Winning the Lottery




God, this is a nighttime psalm. It’s a prayer of peace and rest amid distress at the end of the day. It’s a prayer of confident security amidst mocking, shame, and accusation. And it’s a prayer of joy after winning the lottery.

God, to be honest, if I were to win the mega millions, I truly wouldn’t give a rip if I was mocked, shamed, or accused. I wouldn’t be jealous if others prospered. I would rest in security, not having to make sure I wasn’t going to bounce a check. And, though I am naive, all my distress would be relieved (let me enjoy my naivety for a moment).

God, David won the lottery. It’s right there in v. 6 - “Lift up the light of your face upon us, O LORD.” The King of all creation was smiling upon David - and for David, this was like winning the lottery. That smile turned his distress into relief. That smile gave David security. That smile gave David more joy than wealth and riches ever could. And that smile let David sleep like a baby. 

And Lord, I know I’ve won that lottery myself. 2 Corinthians 4:6 says, “For God, who said, ‘Let light shine out of darkness,’ made his light to shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of God’s glory displayed in the face of Christ.” 

God, the only problem is I still believe winning the mega millions would be better. Help my unbelief. God, let the light of your smile give me genuine and lasting relief, joy, rest, and security.

Amen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 20 - Lord, Save the King

Psalm 13 - “How long?”

Psalm 24 - Every Six Steps