Psalm 9 - The never-forgotten beggar






God, there are two words in this psalm that I love about your character. You are a STRONGHOLD (v. 9), and You DO NOT FORGET (v. 12, 18).

But, God, there are three words in this psalm that I just don’t love (to put it mildly). These are words that I would rather not be true of me - OPPRESSED (v. 9), AFFLICTED (v. 12), and NEEDY (v. 18).

God, I would rather live my life as a non-needy person. I would much rather not be on the underside of power and privilege. I would rather be the one making the rules, and all the rules would benefit me. I would rather not have persecution, and I would rather not have any of my privileged rights stripped from me. I would rather control my own life and create a life of ease, comfort, and security for myself.

And so, God, I don’t like these words. In fact, in all honesty, I spend much of my life trying to avoid these words.

But, God, I can’t have it both ways. I can’t hate these words and love the words about you. This psalm makes it clear that you draw near to the needy, the oppressed, and the afflicted. If I truly want to experience you as my stronghold and if I want to experience your never-forgetting presence in my life, I have to be needy.

God, make me like Jesus. Jesus, you knew what it was to be afflicted, needy, and oppressed. But, you also knew something that I will never again experience - what it was to be forgotten by your Father (“my God, my God, why have you forsaken me”) - all so I will never be forgotten. Thank you!

Amen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 20 - Lord, Save the King

Psalm 13 - “How long?”

Psalm 24 - Every Six Steps