Psalm 28 - A Rock that speaks and listens

 


God, I am not a geologist, and I don’t know much about rocks. But I can do a quick google search and see that there are three types of rocks - sedimentary, igneous, and metamorphic. But I have no idea what that means.

But there are two things I do know about rocks - they don’t speak, and they don’t listen. But that’s not what David believed. This is the confusing imagery that David uses in v. 1.

But God, to be honest, sometimes prayer can feel like I’m speaking to a literal rock. You are silent and come across as not listening. And as a result, there have been many seasons in my life when I return the favor - I stop speaking to you and stop listening. In those times, I read the Bible for information rather than for transformation. It’s in these seasons where ritual and routine take over the relationship.

God, thank you for the reminder that you are a rock who speaks and listens. Thank you for being sure, steady, immovable, yet intimate, tender, and responsive to my cries.

And God, help me to proclaim that you are this type of God. Because if I don’t, even the rocks will cry out!

Amen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 20 - Lord, Save the King

Psalm 13 - “How long?”

Psalm 24 - Every Six Steps