Psalm 30 - pride and prosperity

 


God, as I think about the temptation that captured David’s heart in v. 6, I think of this quote from Tim Keller in his book Jesus the King as he talks about how the center of Christianity throughout history has always been moving:

“In the interview with Andrew Walls, he was asked, “Why does this happen? If the centers of other religions remain constant, why does the center of Christianity constantly change?” Walls replied, “One must conclude, I think, that there is a certain vulnerability, a fragility, at the heart of Christianity. You might say that this is the vulnerability of the cross.”50 The heart of the gospel is the cross, and the cross is all about giving up power, pouring out resources, and serving. Walls hinted that when Christianity is in a place of power and wealth for a long period, the radical message of sin and grace and the cross can become muted or even lost. Then Christianity starts to transmute into a nice, safe religion, one that’s for respectable people who try to be good. And eventually it becomes virtually dormant in those places and the center moves somewhere else.
Walls asserts that the center of Christianity is always migrating away from power and wealth.”


Oh, the allure and danger of prosperity. The NET Bible translates this phrase as “self-confidence .”It seems to have, at its core, ease and comfort that come from power and wealth. It is a confidence that says, along with the rich fool, “soul, you have ample goods laid up for many years: eat, drink, be merry” (Luke 12:19).

God, I can imagine these words coming out of David’s self-assured mouth in v. 6 when he says, “As for me, I said in my prosperity, ‘I shall never be moved.’” And, I can hear you saying the same thing that Jesus said in response to the rich man, “You fool, tonight your soul is required of you…” (Luke 12:20)

God, much of my life seems to be oriented toward seeking the very sin David was confessing. I long for ease and comfort. I plan for security. I think I need more. And I think storing up more will make me merry.

But God, this psalm speaks of a greater happiness. God, in v. 11, David is throwing a party - not because of his prosperity, but because of forgiveness. He’s dancing with joy because your anger only lasts for a moment, but your favor lasts a lifetime…joy is available every morning - now and through eternity (v. 5).

God, help me to repent of my continual pursuit of ease, comfort, and prosperity. And God, let me find a greater joy - the joy of Jesus in laying down my riches for the sake of others (Philippians 2:5-11).

Amen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 20 - Lord, Save the King

Psalm 13 - “How long?”

Psalm 24 - Every Six Steps