Psalm 39 - The heavy hand of discipline

 




God, sometimes it feels like your hand is too heavy upon us. David surely knew what this felt like.

It took everything in him to hold his tongue in the presence of his enemies so he wouldn't give them another opportunity to mock him and you. And while he remained silent, his frustration and anger toward you reached a boiling point (v. 3). Then, it all came out.

As it came out, he fumed, "God, you have stripped me of everything, and I have been brought to the point where I see my life as but a breath. I have no more strength in and of myself. My life is but a shadow that quickly disappears. I know I only have you. I have learned my lesson - so would you let up a bit? I've had all that I can take. Turn away from me so that I can again find happiness" (v. 10-13).

God, it's a bold prayer. Throughout David's prayers so far, he wanted to see your face. Your face meant your pleasure. But now, like a child who can't look his parents in the eye after they catch him, David wants you to stop looking at him. In fact, if David could go into his room and shut the door and hide, it would be better than having to look you in the face.

And God, like a three-year-old hiding in his room, I, too, want to avoid your heavy hand of discipline. I hide. I pretend I didn't do anything. I even begin to fool myself into thinking I've done nothing to deserve punishment. All because I don't like facing your hand of discipline.

But God, Hebrews 12 makes it clear that you discipline those you love. Your discipline comes from your love. Thank you that you never discipline out of wrath. That was poured out on your son. Thank you! And because of that, your disciple, while it's unpleasant at the time, we can be confident that later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness for all who have been trained by it (Hebrews 12:11).

God, help me to endure in faith when your hand seems too heavy on me.

Amen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 20 - Lord, Save the King

Psalm 13 - “How long?”

Psalm 24 - Every Six Steps