Psalm 33 - The State of the Union/the state of my heart


 


Lord, I’m writing this a couple of days after the Presidential State of the Union address. God, during the speech (and every State of the Union speech), half of the floor spends most of the evening on their feet and clapping while the other sits on their hands (or even yells “liar”). Occasionally (and very occasionally), the president says something that causes the whole floor to rise to their feet in applause.

But God, no matter the plans and promises, this psalm is a healthy warning that, as you sovereignly look down from heaven (v. 13), and while your plans stand forever, you bring the plans of the nations to nothing (v. 10-11).

God, forgive me for times when I’ve put my hope in a president or his promises. Forgive me for being surprised when their plans fail or are thwarted. Forgive me for thinking that our nation is sovereign, forgetting that you are the only true sovereign.

God, this psalm realigns my heart to where my only hope is - “Let your steadfast love be upon us, even as we hope in you” (v. 22).

This psalm begins and ends in worship, joy, and gladness. God, it should never be a presidential promise that causes me to sand to my feet and clap - it is a vain hope. And it should never be the state of the union that gives me hope. But God, let my heart rejoice in the state of your sovereign reign and rule - which is perfectly being carried out and fulfilled. And, let the state of my heart be fixed on your steadfast love and your sure promises. Let them bring me to my feet in enthusiastic praise because nothing, absolutely nothing, can toward your good intentions and plans.

For that, I praise you.

Amen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 20 - Lord, Save the King

Psalm 13 - “How long?”

Psalm 24 - Every Six Steps